Dentures in Milpitas
Types of Dentures
A denture, or a complete denture as it is often called, is:
- An appliance that is inserted in the mouth
- Replaces natural teeth
- Provides support for the cheeks and lips.
How to tell quality dentures
Most dentures are made of acrylic and can be fabricated in different ways.
- A conventional denture is made after all teeth have been extracted and the tissues (gums) have healed.
- An immediate denture is fabricated and inserted immediately after the teeth are extracted and the tissues are allowed to heal under the denture.
- An upper denture has acrylic, usually flesh colored, that covers the palate (roof of the mouth).
- A lower denture is shaped like a horseshoe to leave room for the tongue.
- The teeth are made of plastic, porcelain or a combination thereof.
- A complete denture can be attached to dental implants to allow for a more secure fit of the appliance.
Denture Care & Maintenance
Dentures, over a normal course of time, will wear and need to be replaced or relined in order to keep the jaw alignment normal. The alignment will slowly change as the bone and gum ridges recede or shrink due to the extraction of the teeth.
Regular oral and denture examinations are still important for the denture wearer, so that the oral tissues can be checked for disease or change. Dentures can also be inspected for wear and need for repairs to keep them functional. Schedule a denture exam today with Dr. Margiotta: Milpitas CA Dental Office Phone Number 408-262-0510.
Get a beautiful and functional smile!
Contact us today to learn what type of dentures are right for you